Graphical Interface Crashes

I have recently installed Debian 5.01 Lenny on my machine. I used a network mirror during the installation. However, during the initial boot after the installation, my graphical interface always crashes right before the login screen. I have tried GDM, KDM and XDM for the interfaces, and all of them do the same thing. Howerver, a friend of mine uses the exact same motherboard and processor, but a different ATI video card, he can do a full install with absolutely no problems.

My system specs are:

Intel Quad-Core Q6700
4 GB Ram
VisionTek Radeon HD2600 XT
Asus P5N-D Motherboard

However, if I do just a basic install (no Desktop selected), and manually install xserver-xorg-core, kdm and XFCE. Everything works like a charm. I would just prefer to not have to manually add all the programs that I want to use, since I am fairly new to Debian.

On a second note, my home computer when I do a full desktop install and when I do the reboot after the installation, as soon as the graphical interface wants to load, I keep getting a "Input Not Supported" on my screen. This happens when I use either the onboard video or a seperate video card. When I do a manually install as stated above (xorg, kdm, xfce), I can change the screen resolution to 1440x900 @ 75 hz. However, the sync rate is 15 to high (monitor is rated at 60 hz for sync). My home specs are:

AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-UD2H w/Radeon HD3200 video
4 GB Ram
BFG nVidia 9400GT OC
Acer x193w monitor (1440x900 @ 60hz)

Any help on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

--
Curtis Tyndall
Network Administrator