Re: is it possible to install a desktop-manager without python and perl?

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Eduardo M
KALINOWSKI<eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:
> On Seg, 22 Jun 2009, 明覺 wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 8:36 PM, Eduardo M
>> KALINOWSKI<eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you don't want to learn Perl or Python, then simply don't. You don't
>>> have
>>> to know the language to run programs written in it, and you don't need to
>>> have plans to modify the programs in order to use them.
>>>
>>> Having them installed and running them will not distract you in your
>>> quest
>>> to learn C. And quite a lot of programs are written in those languages
>>> (or
>>> others beyond C/C++).
>>
>> yes, currently it's true, but I hope one day I will be able to take
>> full control of my system, and modify them as i like, if I have those
>> other language programmed softwares installed in my system, it will be
>> hard to maintain for me. thanks
>
> If you want to follow this approach, then I think you facing it from the
> wrong perpective: if you want to be able to understand the source of all
> programs in a typical Linux system and be able to modify them, limiting
> yourself to C/C++ is not going to get you much further.
>
> If you want that, you should at least become somewhat familiar with other
> languages -- at least the ones that are widely used such as Perl, Python,
> shell scripting... (you may actually skip Lisp, Lua, Ruby, Brainfuck and
> others for now).
>
> And it's not that hard. Perl and Python, for example, follow essentially the
> same procedural model as C. The syntax has some differences, the built-in or
> library functions available are different (but again, share some
> similarities, especially Perl and C), but the paradigm is the same. If you
> can speak C/C++ well, it should not be difficult to pick up other procedural
> languages. And it will do you no bad, on the opposite, can help you a lot.
>
> Learning, say, Lisp (or one of its derivatives) or Haskell (or another
> functional programming language) can take more time (but is good anyway).
> But these aren't so widely used.
I know your opinion is the behalf of many programmers, maybe also
advanced programmers, but my opinion is not the same. Though I'm a
junior programmer in C/C++, I also haved learned "many" programming
languages --- C#, sql, javascript, xslt, python(yes, I learned it).
When I was using sql, I complained that why sql not use the same
string processing functions as C#; when I was learning javascript, I
made the same complaint;  when I was learning xslt, I complained once
more; and when I was lastly learning python, I became so angry, why
all these languages do the same thing but with a different funtion
name? I hate it!
So I decide I won't learn any other language, I will only use
C/C++(and assembly if necessory) in the future, I cannot bare the
waste of time those scripts languages bring to us programmers any
more.
thanks