Re: is it possible to install a desktop-manager without python and perl?

On Seg, 22 Jun 2009, 明覺 wrote:
On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 8:36 PM, Eduardo M
KALINOWSKI<eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:
If you don't want to learn Perl or Python, then simply don't. You don't have
to know the language to run programs written in it, and you don't need to
have plans to modify the programs in order to use them.

Having them installed and running them will not distract you in your quest
to learn C. And quite a lot of programs are written in those languages (or
others beyond C/C++).
yes, currently it's true, but I hope one day I will be able to take
full control of my system, and modify them as i like, if I have those
other language programmed softwares installed in my system, it will be
hard to maintain for me. thanks

If you want to follow this approach, then I think you facing it from the wrong perpective: if you want to be able to understand the source of all programs in a typical Linux system and be able to modify them, limiting yourself to C/C++ is not going to get you much further.

If you want that, you should at least become somewhat familiar with other languages -- at least the ones that are widely used such as Perl, Python, shell scripting... (you may actually skip Lisp, Lua, Ruby, Brainfuck and others for now).

And it's not that hard. Perl and Python, for example, follow essentially the same procedural model as C. The syntax has some differences, the built-in or library functions available are different (but again, share some similarities, especially Perl and C), but the paradigm is the same. If you can speak C/C++ well, it should not be difficult to pick up other procedural languages. And it will do you no bad, on the opposite, can help you a lot.

Learning, say, Lisp (or one of its derivatives) or Haskell (or another functional programming language) can take more time (but is good anyway). But these aren't so widely used.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br