Re: DNS lookup problems after upgrade from Etch to Lenny

Stackpole, Chris wrote:
> Well I can't seem to find and fix this problem. So I guess my two
> options are: 1) rebuild the system using Lenny 2) Install a DNS
> caching utility.

I would be inclined to try tracing with tcpdump and wireshark and
trying to determine what names are being looked up.  I would hope that
a clue would be present in the names that are being looked up.

> Right now I am trying number 2. I installed dbndns and tied to
> configure it using this [1] talk as a guide, but I think I goofed
> something up. It isn't working.
>
> Can anyone help out in configuring this?

Does the machine have access to the global internet?  Or is it behind
an air-gap firewall?  If it has assess to the internet then simply
installing bind9 might be easiest.  The default installation is a
caching nameserver suitable for a standalone machine on the internet.

  apt-get install bind9

In which case you wouldn't need to configure anything at all.  Stop
there.  You are done.

And even if it does not have internet access, is behind a restrictive
air-gap firwall and must go to an internal nameserver, this is easy to
configure.

Edit /etc/bind/named.conf.options and add a line, with the IP address
of your internal nameserver:

	forwarders { 192.168.1.42; 192.168.1.54; };

Delete the section in /etc/bind/named.conf that sets up the top level
nameservers.  This is actually optional.

	zone "." {
		type hint;
		file "/etc/bind/db.root";
	};