Re: DNS lookup problems after upgrade from Etch to Lenny

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:24:05AM -0500, Stackpole, Chris wrote:
> [...]

[snip]

> >> How do I know? I am running `tshark -f 'port 53'` and watching all
> the
> >> data in real time. When I ping a name, it does a lookup. If I leave
> >> the ping running, after a few seconds it asks again. I set up a loop
> >> using `ping -c1` and no matter how fast the loop ran, it asked for
> the
> >> name every time.

[snip]

> Well I can't seem to find and fix this problem. So I guess my two
> options
> are: 1) rebuild the system using Lenny 2) Install a DNS caching utility.

I have used dnsmasq and found it easy to setup (although in your
situation you would need a separate resolv.conf)

sounds silly but have you checked the dns server, is it resetting the
ttls of the values its sending out ?  I would probably set the machine
into single user mode, make sure nothing else is running and then start
with the pings and do a tcpdump -pni eth0 -vvv port 53 or icmp.

try a host -v google.com
or a dig google.com

work it from there

Alex

--
"First, we would not accept a treaty that would not have been ratified, nor a treaty that I thought made sense for the country."

	- George W. Bush
04/24/2001
on the Kyoto accord