Re: lp/lpr can't print from cups client

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 05:48:15PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> What kind of upgrades? (In other words: Please tell us which version
> of Debian you are running and how up-to-date it is.)

Last time I checked was before the upgrade to Lenny. The utilities are
provided by:

    cups-client: /usr/bin/lp
    cups-bsd: /usr/bin/lpq
    cups-bsd: /usr/bin/lpr

and I have the following packages installed:

    cups-client/stable uptodate 1.3.8-1+lenny6
    cups-bsd/stable uptodate 1.3.8-1+lenny6

None of which really addresses the question of what the error message
means. If I can see the printer in cups, why won't it print? Isn't there
some way to get debugging information out of cups?

    $ echo foo | pr | /usr/bin/lp
    /usr/bin/lp: Error - scheduler not responding!

    $ echo foo | pr | /usr/bin/lp -d hpoj
    /usr/bin/lp: Bad Request

The only other thing I can think of is that the cups server on the
remote side is running testing/unstable. Is there a potential mismatch
there, and how would I debug THAT?

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
	-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"