Re: gnu/screen + mutt - mailcap creates a new terminal instance

Chris Jones wrote:
> Since obviously I run mutt in a terminal, a gnu/screen window actually,
> urlview would correctly launch the ELinks browser in the same terminal.
>
> Now on "lenny" although as far as I know I am using the same .muttrc and
> the same /etc/mailcap that I copied over from the "etch" system, what
> happens is that urlview creates a new xterm where it then launches an
> ELinks session.
>
> Would anyone know what particular setting would cause this behavior?

At a guess?  Install 'debianutils' and see if that works.

  sudo apt-get install debianutils

To debug this run:

  bash -x /etc/urlview/url_handler.sh http://www.debian.org/ 2>/tmp/url_handler.out

Then look at the shell trace.  The script starts out looking for
/usr/bin/sensible-browser and if found launches it in the same
window.  But if not found it will try to launch other browsers in a
terminal (started with x-terminal-emulator) if possible.  This might
not be the problem but if you don't have debianutils installed then
/usr/bin/sensible-browser won't be found and it will fall back.  In
any case looking at the debug of that script should tell the story of
what it is doing.

Bob