Re: gnu/screen + mutt - mailcap creates a new terminal instance

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 03:53:58AM EDT, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:

[..]

> > Now on "lenny" although as far as I know I am using the same .muttrc and
> > the same /etc/mailcap that I copied over from the "etch" system, what
> > happens is that urlview creates a new xterm where it then launches an
> > ELinks session.
> >
> > Would anyone know what particular setting would cause this behavior?

[..]

> To debug this run:
>
>   bash -x /etc/urlview/url_handler.sh http://www.debian.org/ 2>/tmp/url_handler.out

[..]

Exactly what I needed..!

I compared the url_handler.sh that I had on the "etch" system with the
"lenny" version and immediately spotted the following:

# lists of programs to be executed - modified CJ 2007/08/10.. trying to
# get elinks to be invoked.

http_prgs="/usr/bin/elinks:VT /usr/bin/x-www-browser:PW ...
https_prgs="/usr/bin/elinks:VT /usr/bin/x-www-browser:PW ...
etc.

I had prepended "/user/bin/elinks:VT" to the defaults for these two
variables.

So basically, this never worked out of the box with the default mailcap
+ debian alternatives.. etc. on the "etch" system either, and since I
couldn't spare the time (then as now) to figure out what the problem
really was and how to fix it cleanly, I took some drastic measures to
get things to work.

Nothing wrong with that since this is an area where I certainly do not
need any kind of flexibility.

What was not quite right with my approach was that "brutally" editing
the code rather than look at some means of keeping track of this
"customization" - via a patch or debian equivalent - was bound to get me
bit sooner of later.. :-)

I copied over my doctored version of the urlview script and everything
now works as desired.

I guess this time I will document it in my "etch → lenny" upgrade notes
and leave it at that.

Thanks,

CJ