Re: what user and password for cups

Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2009, at 7:53 PM, whollygoat@letterboxes.org wrote:

>>> If you have a root account set it's user "root" and it's password that
>>> cups is asking for. If root account is not set (if you are using sudo
>>> only), try your user name and password.
>>>

>> Neither work.  I tried them both already even though I didn't
>> expect either to work.  root logins are disabled, and using
>> the user account and password will only get me root access, via
>> sudo, not via a cups authorization prompt :(
>>
>> I guess I am going to have to figure out how to do this
>> via cli.
>>
>> Thanks for taking a shot.
>
> I believe (as in these old eyes have seen it happen -- but I can't
> remember the exact circumstances) there is a configuration-time
> option to set a userid that will have administrative control
> over the Cups facility.  All relevant configuration files are then
> changed to belong to that user.
>
> It may be that you can get to it by running
>
>     dpkg-reconfigure <something>
>
> Anybody on this list have any suggestions for appropriate values of
> <something>?
>
> Rick

i believe what your looking for in <something> is cupsys.  but thats not
going to ask you for passwords or users or anything like that..... just
tried it.  take a look at this
http://www.debianadmin.com/setup-cups-common-unix-printing-system-server-and-client-in-debian.html#more-316

the area where it says

# Restrict access to the server…
<Location/>
Order allow,deny
Allow localhost
</Location>

I have, Allow All, and it doesnt ask for a password.  or you can put
Allow <IP you want to give access to> then restart cups
/etc/init.d/cupsys restart

been awhile since i setup cups on my etch server but if i recall
correctly it should be what your looking for.

steve