Re: what user and password for cups

On Jun 14, 2009, at 7:53 PM, whollygoat@letterboxes.org wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 09:30 +0100, "thveillon.debian"
<thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:
On 13 Jun 2009, gcrimp@vcn.bc.ca wrote:
Hi,

I've just installed cups to manage an HP Laserjet 6P.  It web
interface finds the printer everything is peachy until I select
a driver and click on "Add Printer".  At that point I am
prompted for a username and a password.

[snip]

If you have a root account set it's user "root" and it's password that
cups is asking for. If root account is not set (if you are using sudo
only), try your user name and password.

Neither work.  I tried them both already even though I didn't
expect either to work.  root logins are disabled, and using
the user account and password will only get me root access, via
sudo, not via a cups authorization prompt :(

I guess I am going to have to figure out how to do this
via cli.

Thanks for taking a shot.

I believe (as in these old eyes have seen it happen -- but I can't
remember the exact circumstances) there is a configuration-time
option to set a userid that will have administrative control
over the Cups facility.  All relevant configuration files are then
changed to belong to that user.

It may be that you can get to it by running

	dpkg-reconfigure <something>

Anybody on this list have any suggestions for appropriate values of <something>?

Rick