what user and password for cups

Hi,

I've just installed cups to manage an HP Laserjet 6P.  It web
interface finds the printer everything is peachy until I select
a driver and click on "Add Printer".  At that point I am
prompted for a username and a password.

root login is disabled on the box, so I can't use root/password.
I've tried the username/passwd that can sudo to root.  I've
tried using lppasswd to add the that sysadmin user to cups db
and tried adding root.  Neither of them work.

The prompt prompt in the dialogue box where a uname and passwd
or requested says 'A username and password are being requested
by http://localhost:631. The site says: "CUPS"'  Can anyone
tell me what is meant by 'The site says: "CUPS"'?  There is no
cups user or cups group in /etc/passwd or /etc/group. There
is an lp user, but login is disabled in /etc/shadow.

I don't know where to go from here.  I've tried adding the printer on the
command line with lpadmin, but that didn't work either.

~# lpadmin -p HP_Laserjet_6p -m /usr/share/ppd/cups-included/HP/ \
-P laserjet.ppd
lpadmin: Unable to copy PPD file!

Thanks,

gc