Re: mdadm on lenny64, why two spares?

also sprach whollygoat@letterboxes.org <whollygoat@letterboxes.org> [2009.06.10.2308 +0200]:
> So, if I understand correctly, in the Lenny version of mdadm
> (I never experienced this building arrays with mdadm on Etch)
> in order for the creation of an array to take place, one must
> run "mdadm -w <arrayx>" immediately after running "mdadm
> -C <arrayx> -n y -x z etcetc" otherwise the new array will just sit
> there not syncing the component devices until the first write?

Yes, this is a safety measure, since -C only writes the superblocks
and then assembles the array as normal. This is postponed until
a write operation takes place in case in case the admin needs to
intervene.

Note that mounting the device or creating a filesystem on it will
have the desired effects too.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

"life moves pretty fast. if you don't stop and look around once in
 a while, you could miss it."
                                                     -- ferris bueller