Re: mdadm on lenny64, why two spares?

In <[🔎] 1244582859.18981.1319594151@webmail.messagingengine.com>,
whollygoat@letterboxes.org wrote:
>On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 11:26 +1000, "Alex Samad" <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 03:45:22PM -0700, whollygoat@letterboxes.org
>> wrote:
>> > cat /proc/mdstat
>> > Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
>> > md0 : active (auto-read-only) raid5 hdi1[4](S) hdk1[3](S) hdg1[1]
>> I believe you are in READ ONLY MODE, it will not attempt to put the
>> spares back into to the array until it is moved into read/write
>>
>> mdadm -w /dev/md0
>Right you are.  The third drive was synced into the array with the above
>command.
>
>But, now I am wondering what put it into read-only mode.

It was in auto-read-only (not quite the same).  Auto-read-only is set
automatically by mdadm for array that is started without all of it's
devices.  It prevents mdadm from starting a rebuild until the array is
written to (or forced into read-write mode).  This is to allow the
incremental build system to work sanely when spares are detected before all
the active devices.