Re: mdadm on lenny64, why two spares?

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 11:26 +1000, "Alex Samad" <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 03:45:22PM -0700, whollygoat@letterboxes.org
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 17:07 +0100, "kj"
> > <koffiejunkielistlurker@koffiejunkie.za.net> wrote:

> > > What does `cat /proc/mdstat` show you?
> >
> > cat /proc/mdstat
> > Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
> > md0 : active (auto-read-only) raid5 hdi1[4](S) hdk1[3](S) hdg1[1]
> > hde1[0]
> >       156250880 blocks super 1.0 level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [3/2]
> >       [UU_]
> >       bitmap: 0/150 pages [0KB], 256KB chunk
>
> Hi
>
> I believe you are in READ ONLY MODE, it will not attempt to put the
> spares back into to the array until it is moved into read/write
>
> mdadm -w /dev/md0

Right you are.  The third drive was synced into the array with the above
command.

But, now I am wondering what put it into read-only mode.  Looking at man
 mdadm and greping for "read" I find nothing that says it goes into
read-only mode by default.  The only thing I can find relative to
read-only operation and "create" mode is "--readonly start the array
readonly -- not supported yet".  Otherwise, read-only seems only to be
available in "misc" mode.

What I am ultimately after at this stage in the server building game is
to ensure myself that the ide expansion cards I am using are not faulty.
 As I mentioned in another post, I had many many h/w problems with a
previous attempt at raid building.  I am using, apart from one new DIMM,
entirely used parts whose history is unknown.  I managed to find
problems with the previous motherboard, two DIMMs, and I am not yet
entirely sure of the integrity of the expansion cards.  Do you know if
read only mode could be caused by some fault in the cards?

Thanks,

will
--

  whollygoat@letterboxes.org