Re: changing to UTF-8

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 06:08:01PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:

> I still see characters such as hyphens
> (-), boldface pipes, and single quotes rendered as â (circumflex-a) in my
> terminal windows.  If I set LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1, then the characters are
> shown correctly.

Your locale setup is fine.  The problem here is that your terminal is
interpreting its input at ISO-8859-1 rather than UTF-8.  You haven't
told us which terminal you are using, but most have an option to set
this.  For terminals running on Linux, they usually default to the
locale charmap, but you may have explicitly set the encoding a while
back.

> I think this is a font problem, but I just don't know how to diagnose it.

Your terminal will also need to use a font containing glyphs for the
UTF-8 characters you will be using, but for the ISO-8859-1 subset
you were using previously your existing font should be just fine.
Deja Vu Sans Mono is what I use since it contains a wide range of
Unicode characters and it also looks quite nice.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh