changing to UTF-8

In order to avoid problems with CUPS (yes Master, I shall comply) and get
consistency within my LAN, I'm finally giving up on the ISO-8859-1 locale
and switching my desktop host to use UTF-8.  I've already corrected
/etc/locale.gen, to change the default locale to UTF-8:

$ egrep -v '^(#|$)' /etc/locale.gen
en_US UTF-8
en_US.ISO-8859-1 ISO-8859-1

then reran locale-gen.  For the most part everything works fine.  I ran
utf8migrationtool, which found no problems.  'locale' shows that everything
is 'en_US', and 'locale charmap' returns UTF-8.  And CUPS and hplip will
now talk to each other again, hooray.  But there is one minor problem:

When I view some man pages, some characters, e.g. a bold-face pipe or
single-quote character, are displayed wrong in the terminal, usually as an
â (a with circumflex).  If I set LC_ALL=en_US.ISO-8859-1 first, then the
characters are displayed correctly.

What's causing this problem, and how can I fix it?

Thanks,
Andrew.