can't get printer to work after dist upgrade

Hello,

Yesterday, I did a dist upgrade from lenny to squeeze.
I edited sources.list, changes lenny to squeeze everywhere, and then did
aptitude update
aptitude install apt dpkg aptitude
aptitude full-upgrade

I also installed a lot of upgrades to packages, as suggested by synaptic.

Everything seems OK, except that I can't get my printer to work.

The printer is a HP Laserjet 1005 MFP, which can print, copy and scan,
and is connected to the computer via USB.

To get the printer to work in lenny, I did the following:

wget -O foo2zjs.tar.gz  http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/foo2zjs.tar.gz
tar zxf foo2zjs.tar.gz
cd foo2zjz
make
make install
make  install install-hotplug
make install cups
/etc/init.d/cups  restart

When I noticed that the printer was not working in squeeze, I tried
        cd foo2zjz
            make uninstall
and  then doing the above steps again.
I also tried removing the printer in CUPS and adding it again.

I notice one difference between lenny and squeeze:
In squeeze, when I attach the printer's USB cable xsane automatically
starts up – this did not happen in lenny.

Any ideas?

John