Re: Realtek Device ffff (rev 10) is not recognized with 8139too

On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 03:43:21PM +0000, Marcelo Luiz de Laia wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had two network cards in my micro. The eth0 card was stopped (ruined) and I,
> for one time, worked without it (only with eth1). All is working perfectly.
>
> Now a days I moved my DIAL UP to ADSL and I will need to share my
> net. I am at home.
>
> I bought a new PCI card and plug it. But it is not recognized.
>
> In the logs, see below, it appears that it was renamed from eth0 to eth1.
>
> You know if the driver 8139too is really the one for this hardware? What
> I could do to configure it?

> :~$ sudo ifconfig -a
> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  Endereço de HW 00:0c:6e:b2:40:58

Is this the MAC address of the new card?  Usually it's printed physically on
the card somewhere.

> dmesg log:
>
> [    2.724640] forcedeth 0000:00:04.0: ifname eth0, PHY OUI 0x732 @ 1, addr
> 00:0c:6e:b2:40:58
> [    5.098215] udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
> [   25.960017] eth1: no IPv6 routers present

If the above MAC is indeed the MAC of the new card, it looks like udev is
finding the device and changing its name to eth1.  If so, then it's probably a
problem with /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

But that's *only* if that's the MAC of the new card.  If it's the MAC of your
old eth1, then udev is doing the right thing, and I have no idea.

Cheers,

--
Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator
Federation of Students