digitilizing audio vinyl records

Hi to Everyone,

I am using 'audacity' under Debian Sarge. At first sight, the results seemed OK... but this statement does not stand any challenge with the original vinyl records played with an old turntable, even when using cheaper audio equipment. Sampling was done at 44100 Hz on 32 bits float, then the result was exported to 16 bits wav files and burnt into audio CD. Are there any reason to think that the PC audio system matters a lot in the quality of results to be expected ? My audio card is part of my ASUS P5LD2 SE card (SoundMAX Audio Driver ADI AD1986), but I am not too sure that it is correctly installed and correctly operating on my Debian system.

My first question is : how can I test this audio card on my Debian system ? Below is the output of
#cat /dev/sndstat

**************************
cat /dev/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.14rc1 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux debreil 2.6.20-16-386 #2 Wed May 23 01:42:57 UTC 2007 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
HDA Intel at 0xe7cf8000 irq 17

Audio devices:
0: AD198x Analog (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:
31: system timer

Mixers:
0: Analog Devices AD1986A

but then I can find no track of this sound card in my dmesg output, nor in /var/log/messages. However, sound does work, but it may be on a more generic system.

Thanks in advance for your help