Re: ed 1.33 install errors

On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 09:13:47PM -0400, Rob Bochan wrote:
> On Monday 01 June 2009 08:53:19 pm Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > Script started on Mon Jun  1 20:50:14 2009
> > localhost:~# aptitude install ed
> > update-alternatives: error: alternative path /bin/ed doesn't exist.
> > dpkg: error processing ed (--configure):
> >   subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status
> > 2 Errors were encountered while processing:
> >   ed
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> I got the same error here. I fixed it by creating a symlink from /usr/bin/ed
> to /bin/ and that cleared it up. I'd imagine it's a bug in the package.

Considering that the main use of ed is either for scripted editing or
for editing when ncurses (or gui) isn't working, the bug is probably
having it in /usr/bin instead of /bin.  In Lenny, its in /bin (at least
on my box).  I would argue that another bug is that its not statically
linked but Debian doesn't seem to worry about having basic stuff static
and refer people to a live CD for system rescue.

Doug.