Re: KDE is now broken (Fwd: Heads-up: KDE4 hitting testing tonight (UTC) )

lee wrote:
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 10:23:35AM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
In <[🔎] 20090526144742.GD5158@cat.rubenette.is-a-geek.com>, lee wrote:
Even if I wanted to run an RDBMS because it's needed for something I
want, I'd think at least twice about it and look for another solution
first to keep the resource usage low: There are some games I want to
play, and I don't want to have to try stopping things that are running
before I can play them smoothly.
SQLite doesn't run a daemon at all. While there is an binary that functional as a simple "SQL Shell", all the real RDBMS work is handled by the shared library.

Still it wants to install the full mysql server --- and doesn't that
package automatically start the server, even if it's then not used by
kde? Not that I couldn't prevent that, but they could make a package
that only installs the needed library instead of the full server ...
Haven't tested it, but couldn't you do (for example):
aptitude install koffice sqlite

to make it use the other one?

Chances are both will satisfy the dependancy, just sql is listed before sqlite.
Of course, there would still be the Akonadi server hanging around -- but it should only wake up "on demand" when applications need services.

But does it take CPU time to figure out if it needs to wake up?