Re: KDE is now broken (Fwd: Heads-up: KDE4 hitting testing tonight (UTC) )

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 10:23:35AM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <[🔎] 20090526144742.GD5158@cat.rubenette.is-a-geek.com>, lee wrote:
> >Even if I wanted to run an RDBMS because it's needed for something I
> >want, I'd think at least twice about it and look for another solution
> >first to keep the resource usage low: There are some games I want to
> >play, and I don't want to have to try stopping things that are running
> >before I can play them smoothly.
>
> SQLite doesn't run a daemon at all.  While there is an binary that
> functional as a simple "SQL Shell", all the real RDBMS work is handled by
> the shared library.

Still it wants to install the full mysql server --- and doesn't that
package automatically start the server, even if it's then not used by
kde? Not that I couldn't prevent that, but they could make a package
that only installs the needed library instead of the full server ...

> Of course, there would still be the Akonadi server hanging around -- but it
> should only wake up "on demand" when applications need services.

But does it take CPU time to figure out if it needs to wake up?