Re: KDE is now broken (Fwd: Heads-up: KDE4 hitting testing tonight (UTC) )

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 01:21:19PM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <[🔎] 20090525163904.GB5158@cat.rubenette.is-a-geek.com>, lee wrote:
> >> If you don't want to run any "servers" then you don't want to run Gnome
> >> (ORBit = CORBA server), KDE 3 (dcopserver), Xfce (notifications go via the
> >> DBus server) or X11 (xorg is an X11 server).
> >
> >Who says that I don't want to run any servers?
>
> I inferred that based on this:
>
> In <[🔎] 20090524145214.GA16426@cat.rubenette.is-a-geek.com>, lee wrote:
> >It doesn't matter to me which RDMBS is
> >needed because I have none installed, and before I'm not needing one
> >for something, I'm not going to install one --- and maybe even then I
> >might not because my computer is a workstation and not a server.
>
> I interpreted that to mean "servers are not appropriate for my computer
> because it isn't a server".  I hope I showed by example how "servers" are not
> foreign to your standard home PC.

Ok, I see what you mean. I do have servers running as much as they are
needed/wanted for what I'm doing and as much as they don't require an
undue amount of resources. But I don't need an RDBMS, no matter which
one, as well as I don't need the kde application(s) that would require
one. Therefore, it doesn't matter which RDBMS kde would require.

Even if I wanted to run an RDBMS because it's needed for something I
want, I'd think at least twice about it and look for another solution
first to keep the resource usage low: There are some games I want to
play, and I don't want to have to try stopping things that are running
before I can play them smoothly. I also don't want to set up another
computer to use as a server for things like that. That is what
considering my comp a "workstation" is about, and it doesn't mean that
I wouldn't run any servers at all on it. It means I want to keep it
useable for what I'm doing rather than burden it unnecessarily.

On a side note, what I could use is a Linux version of MS Access. That
really is one very useful tool, and even that doesn't require an
RDBMS. Unfortunately, the database part of openoffice just sucks.