Re: mass conversion from ogg to mp3--open formats

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 6:49 PM, ZephyrQ <zephyrq@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> it at a friends house) or needs marching band music (a HUGE gap in Linux
> support, BTW).  She has also given up trying to convince me to load XP 'just
> so I can get stuff done'.

I hope you're not hinting that Linux and marching band music don't go
together :).

> Why is it so hard to find appliances (cell phones, etc.) or production apps
> (sheet music, etc.) that support open formats?  Especially when it is
> cheaper/easier/faster/more convenient to just 'pick from the list'.

There are open cell phones - it's just that the Iphone isn't one of
them, it seems. OpenMoko and Android seem to be better. But I don't
have or use cell phones, and I'm a luddite in that respect. Then
again, there are a number of mp3 players that support ogg. Even those
that don't explicitly mention it, I've been suprised to find, can
handle ogg files without screwing up.

I just had to retire my Ivo Sound M620 (worked perfectly with Linux)
media player last week when the stem in an aftermarket headphone
decided to break off *in* the player. So I went around and looked at
Amazon, and picked up from Ebiz Pro LLC (in Boise ID) a replacement
media player that only set me back $83 including shipping. And I got
it in 2 days (I'm in California). There are some rough edges, but the
player does work with Linux (I will probably have to tweak HAL to make
it work better) and holds 16 GB capacity. Not bad. And it'll play ogg
files just fine - even though it isn't advertised or documented that
it does.

And if you're looking for sheet music - there's tons of it at the
Petrucci Music Library (http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page) - all either
public domain or Creative Commons licensed stuff. All pdfs. Will keep
your printer busy for a while :).

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.