Re: make image of a hard disk

2009/5/26 Owen Townend <owen.townend@gmail.com>
2009/5/26 Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com>:
> There's a hard disk with bad sectors that I want to make a back up with
> ddrescue but the thing is, it is 1 TB and the backup location is also 1 TB
> and that is the only one I could afford right now. How do I compress it on
> the fly while making an image out of it?

Try, for example
$ dd_rescue /dev/sda1 - | gzip > image.gz

Where /dev/sda1 is your dying disk and image.gz is the compressed output.
Be aware that having stdout as the destination for dd_rescue means
it is unable to handle writing sparse files properly (if that is required).

from what I read, sparse files is the empty blocks/spaces. I only need the real data to be as it were. Thanks for the tip. I'll try this one out though I'm wondering if logging still works by doing it like this
$ dd_rescue -v /dev/sda1 -l sda.log - | gzip > image.gz

cheers,
Owen.