Re: mass conversion from ogg to mp3--open formats

Paul Johnson wrote:
ZephyrQ wrote:
I have a large number of music files (17 gig worth...yes, for all prying
eyes they are legal...) that I find I need to convert from .ogg to .mp3.

Not that I want to...but between a teenager with an iphone and being
saddled with cell phone that won't play .ogg...well, you get the picture.

Sounds like an early lesson in why you should use devices that support
open formats.  More seriously, why not find a program for the iPhone
that plays oggs?  That seems like a better idea than stripping all the
audio fidelity out of the music like MP3s tend to do.

Not an early lesson...rather a frustration. I've done this in the past where I research what I can use and then purchase it. I now have to teenage children who, for lack of a better description, do not share the love of tech intricacies as I do. They just want something that works. I constantly have to deal with the 'roll of the eyes' whenever my 16 year-old comes home and wants to upgrade her iphone apps (she has given up and does it at a friends house) or needs marching band music (a HUGE gap in Linux support, BTW). She has also given up trying to convince me to load XP 'just so I can get stuff done'.

Now, she is a firm believer in OOffice and other Open Source apps...and she has used Linux for years...but she runs into the same frustration I do:

Why is it so hard to find appliances (cell phones, etc.) or production apps (sheet music, etc.) that support open formats? Especially when it is cheaper/easier/faster/more convenient to just 'pick from the list'.