Re: getting broadcom wireless to be recognized and working

This is not the problem you reported, but it's a similar one.

I recently had to install an Ubuntu on an old laptop that had a
broadcom wireless card. Everything was up, except the broadcom. Turns
out i had to tell Ubuntu to install proprietary software in order for
it to install the driver for that hardware.

Try using lshw and see what does it say about your card. Also, for
another wireless card (USB) i had to have kernel 2.6.29 installed in
order for it to work. Also, assuming you'll be using an encrypted
WiFi, install wpasupplicant. I know GNOME has a network manager, but i
personalyl prefer wicd.

HTH
Nuno

PS: there's lots of material on configuring wireless for Linux/Debian.