Re: getting broadcom wireless to be recognized and working

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:14 PM, dwain <dwain.alford@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Neal Hogan <nealhogan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello again . . .
>>
>> I'm curious what your particular card you have. I've recently got my
>> broadcom card working and it was rather painless. I'll get the details
>> in the meantime and try to get back to you soon. While you
>> "desperately" await my "ingenious" response, perhaps you can post your
>> dmesg and version of debian you're using.
>>
>> FYI -- one thing that I have learned since recently getting involved
>> in the *nix world is that there is a lot of documentation and blogs
>> and mailing lists and  . . . from which to research before asking
>> questions. I'm not saying that your questions are dumb, but that htey
>> may have been addressed in a very accessible place.
>>

> here's my card: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 [AirForce 54g] 802.11a/b/g PCI
> Express Transceiver (rev 02).  i received a link to get the new driver and
> compile it in another post.  i have installed the necessary programs to
> compile, but to be honest, it scares me.  but i guess i need the experience,
> so i may end up having to do this.  i am interested in getting the wireless
> working, i am not desparate, but i guess i'll assume that was said with a
> grin.  it did bring a smile to my face.
>
> i checked out the documentation on the debian web site, although i did not
> google the query.  i am very much a noobie to linux, although i have played
> around with opensuse and ubuntu.  i was thinking about sabayon, but then i
> saw a reference to debian on the ubuntu list and thought this was the way to
> go.  so far so good.
>
> i have started to save emails and bookmarking references that concern me.  i
> appreciate your fyi.  you are absolutely correct about researching first,
> but sometimes i don't know where to look and in another post i asked for
> links as well as a bit of hand holding to help me learn what i need to know
> about debian.
>
> i look forward to your reply regarding my wifi issue.

Check it out: http://wiki.debian.org/Broadcom

It's my son's B-day party today. So, I don't have time to put more
effort into helping right now. Your card is different from mine, but
the above link looks good.

As far as being apprehensive about trying things (I understand), but
since you just installed Debian, there isn't much to lose. Good luck!

-Neal

--
www.nealhogan.net          www.lambdaserver.com