Re: vmware 1.0.8 (or .9) with 2.6.29

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 05:46:49PM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 08:13:16AM +0200, Mirco Piccin wrote:
> > HI

> > > me too but my image will not boot in VB, I have taken a copy of the boot
> > > disks to see what I can do, but I am not hopeful - its a W2000 server
> > > image.  This is the exact reason I want to move to VB from vmware
> >
> > I also need to work with win2k (server).
> > It's possible to install a fresh win2k os using virtual box, but there
> > are also some ways to clone your existent vmware win2k machine.
> > You can use Clonezilla, or Mondo, or converting .vmdk to .vdi ....or
> > something else.
> >
> > Example:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMagazine/HowTo/Switching_From_VMWare_To_VirtualBox:_.vmdk_To_.vdi_Using_Qemu_+_VdiTool
>
> yes I have gone down this path, there is something in my build that
> makes it stop at mud.sys .....

just thought i finish off this thread, seeing as i started it.

for 2.6.29 >= you are going to need vmware server 2.x or >  there are
patches for it to compile on 2.6.29 debian (-1 & -2).

problem is vmware has change the packaging, thus the make-vpkg doesn't
work (currently) with V2, i installed my copy in /opt/vmware and it ran
fine out of there.

As for trying to get windows 2000 to work on VB, I have had to upgrade
to windows 2003 and the move over was simple.

I would suggest any one going down this path to try out Virtualbox (or
maybe kvm/qemu) instead of VMware because of the pain you experience
with kernel updates :)

> > > I suspect that VirtualBox may require a fork
> >
> > VirtualBox is released also in a OpenSource version:
> > virtual box ose
> >
> > Of course a fork is possible, but i don't think that it's required -
> > not for now.
> >
> > Regards

"I want to thank you for coming to the White House to give me an opportunity to urge you to work with these five senators and three congressmen, to work hard to get this trade promotion authority moving. The power that be, well most of the power that be, sits right here."

	- George W. Bush
06/18/2001
Washington, DC