Re: debiantutorials.org seeks input and new blood

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> >> I don't know about their more recent consumer-grade offering but you may
> >> want to take a look at Windows '98. When I got the laptop, it came with
> >> a 20-page or so manual. But then considering the "capabilities" of the
> >> OS that was probably overkill anyway.
> >
> > That wrongly assumes anything Windows is a modern OS, when in reality
> > it's just a rehash of the worst ideas CP/M and VMS had to offer.
> >

> Because MS-bashing on a Debian-centric list does wonder for promoting
> the usage of FOSS software, right?

It's not bashing, it's factual. Read about the history of Windows 'ingenuity'
here:

http://www.vanwensveen.nl/rants/microsoft/IhateMS_1.html

> Maybe you forgot how great of an OS Win98 was at the time.

This has to be a joke. Win 98 wasn't even an operating system. It was an
application that ran on top of DOS for pete's sake.

> That was a different world than today, and even now seeing how responsive
> Win98 is on old hardware (it flies on 64 MiB RAM) it makes me wonder why
> Debian is sometimes sluggish on 512 MiB machines with >1 GHz
> procesors.

What?? I seriously hope I'm misunderstanding you here. You're wondering why a
modern, fully functional OS needs more resources than a flaky featurless GUI
that was still running on top of 16 bit DOS code?

You seriously need to do some reading. Sorry, but it annoys me when people
speak about things without making even a token effort at learning the subject
first.