Re: debiantutorials.org seeks input and new blood

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 01:10:15PM -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Maybe you forgot how great of an OS Win98 was at the time.
>
> This has to be a joke. Win 98 wasn't even an operating system. It was an
> application that ran on top of DOS for pete's sake.
>
> > That was a different world than today, and even now seeing how responsive
> > Win98 is on old hardware (it flies on 64 MiB RAM) it makes me wonder why
> > Debian is sometimes sluggish on 512 MiB machines with >1 GHz
> > procesors.
>
> What?? I seriously hope I'm misunderstanding you here. You're wondering why a
> modern, fully functional OS needs more resources than a flaky featurless GUI
> that was still running on top of 16 bit DOS code?

They call it progress.  95% of what I do with my computer is the same as
what I did on my 486.  "Progress" means that I now need a computer a
thousand times more powerful with five-hundred times more drive space to
do exactly the same thing.

I would be very happy with Debian Woody (or even Potato) with security
updates only.

Then again, modern monitors won't plug into my 486 since it doesn't have
holes for all the pins on the D-sub.  Luckily, I have a few spare
monitors.

Doug.