Re: why fake raid on motherboards?

Justin wrote:
     > >  Is
     > > there any advantage compared with software raid?
     > >

     > I only see disadvantages.

    Thanks, I appreciate your advice.

Here's the advantage to fakeraid to me. Keep in mind it won't apply to most people.

I have 4 hard disk, 2x320 in raid0 for the OS and 2x1TB in raid1 for storage. On the raid0 I dualboot Windows and Fedora. The motherboard's fakeraid is excellent because it provides a common interface between Windows and Fedora. For the raid0, I probably could have used full softraid on both OSes. (assuming Windows can boot from a soft raid0?) However, for the raid1, where both OSes need to be able to read the same partition, fakeraid was the only option.

[Justin Newman]

Only certain editions of Windows can boot from soft raid, and none of the consumer versions. Just the server/enterprise ones.

One can use fake/soft raid with cheap add-in cards, like the stuff Highpoint does with their low-end cards. The advantage is, if your motherboard fails, you can transfer the card to a new motherboard. Since the cards are relatively cheap, you can get more than one, and thus keep a spare around in case the card fails. Also, some brands maintain compatibility with the older cards in the same family, so you may be able to upgrade the card without reformatting the drives.

However, if your OS is Linux, it is kind of pointless, unless you need to dual-boot or something.

Mark Allums