RE: debian and ubuntu

I teach C programming at the local University.  I use and recommend
Debian for my students in a desktop or server environment, primarily
for stability.  OTOH I usually recommend Ubuntu for laptops,
primarily because the students have bought them recently and many
have the latest hardware which require the newer drivers that Ubuntu
supports "out of the box" but Debian may not (yet).
larry