Re: why fake raid on motherboards?

> >  Is
> > there any advantage compared with software raid?
> >

> I only see disadvantages.

Thanks, I appreciate your advice.

Here's the advantage to fakeraid to me. Keep in mind it won't apply to most people.

I have 4 hard disk, 2x320 in raid0 for the OS and 2x1TB in raid1 for storage. On the raid0 I dualboot Windows and Fedora. The motherboard's fakeraid is excellent because it provides a common interface between Windows and Fedora. For the raid0, I probably could have used full softraid on both OSes. (assuming Windows can boot from a soft raid0?) However, for the raid1, where both OSes need to be able to read the same partition, fakeraid was the only option.

[Justin Newman]