Re: why fake raid on motherboards?

2009/4/26 Justin <eqisow@gmail.com>:
>>  We had a boarder who used fake-raid in the fashion you mention and
>> was bitten badly by a raid chip failure. No spare motherboard, no
>> backups, everything gone.
>>
>> Adrian
>
> Of course, I'm well aware of the drawbacks to fakeraid and they've been
> covered here pretty well, but the question was are there *any* benifits.
> Clearly, in my case, there are. It's the only way to get a raid that can be
> read by both *nix and Windows OSes, afaik. It's also the only way to dual
> boot on raid0, I think.
>
> Also, my board is brand new and is under warranty for the next 5 years.
> Hopefully an exact replacement would happen in the event of a failure.

Redirected Back to list;

Your fall back position is to disable the fake-raid controller in the
bios and spring cash for a real raid controller, downside is that one
of those is going to cost money.

Re your board being under warranty: If that is comfort to you then
don't worry about it. Personally if it was mine and I was relying on
it, I'd have a second *identical* motherboard sitting on a shelf.
After a failure 3 years down the track and the current manufacturer
ceases production of your current board, There is nothing to stop the
distributor substituting your failed board with an equivalent
substitute in the future. It will have a fake-raid controller but will
it bring up your existing fake-raid array effectively? Will it be the
same chipset?
5 years is a long time for the same technology to be around.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.