Re: why fake raid on motherboards?

--- Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:

- snip -

> Only certain editions of Windows can boot from soft raid, and none of
>
> the consumer versions.  Just the server/enterprise ones.
>
> One can use fake/soft raid with cheap add-in cards, like the stuff
> Highpoint does with their low-end cards.  The advantage is, if your
> motherboard fails, you can transfer the card to a new motherboard.
> Since the cards are relatively cheap, you can get more than one, and
> thus keep a spare around in case the card fails.  Also, some brands
> maintain compatibility with the older cards in the same family, so
> you
> may be able to upgrade the card without reformatting the drives.

I ran Highpoint RAID card 7~8 years ago.  It was termed as Software
RAID dislike Adaptec RAID card.  The latter is termed as Hardware RAID
card but very expensive.  It worked without problem.  Later I found not
much advantage on running RAID.  Therefore I ceased running RAID
anymore.

I don't run Windows either.  I can find the replacement on almost all
proprietary software running on Windows.  What I can't find is the
Windows java engine on IE.  Some stupid websites still request visitors
running Windows IE to browse their sites.

B.R.
Stephen L