debian and ubuntu

we use (and support) both, but i'd like to establish a rationale for
using one or the other.

are there situations where debian is preferable (eg older hardware)?
are there situations where ubuntu is preferable (eg picking up newer
hardware)?

what's better for use on a server? ubuntu has a server edition (with an
excellent guide), but is it any different from debian?

i personally like debian's slow cycle - i don't like to upgrade if i
can help it. my son, on the otherhand, likes to try the new stuff
whenever possible.

i would like to see some opinions and personal experiences regarding
these 2 excellent systems!

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's