A working mic? Help still needed

I am still struggling with getting a microphone going, and am getting a bit
desperate.  Part of the solution may be to try a different mic.  This one¹ is
fairly inexpensive and gets mostly rave reviews, including one that says it
was fine with Linux and one that says it is good with Audacity.

Does anyone know anything either pro or con?  I could do with its working on
either Sid or PCLinuxOS MiniMe 2008.

But the Sid machine has 40 GB of unused/unallocated/free space on its hard
drive - and I would happily install something else if it would solve this
problem.  Squeeze perhaps?  Or a Red Hat clone? Or other suggestions?

TIA
Lisi

1)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-980186-0914-USB-Desktop-Microphone/dp/B0000ATCOR/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1240697282&sr=8-3