Re: debian and ubuntu

> we use (and support) both, but i'd like to establish a rationale for
> using one or the other.

> are there situations where debian is preferable (eg older hardware)?
> are there situations where ubuntu is preferable (eg picking up newer
> hardware)?

I my mind, the difference between the two is:
- Ubuntu doesn't care as much about Free Software, so it is prefectly
  happy to encourage the use of proprietary software (e.g. drivers).
  So if care about Free Software, you may prefer Debian (or GNewSense
  of course, which is a cleaned up version of Ubuntu).
- Ubuntu has a short release cycle, so you do get "releases" (like
  Debian "stable"), but with more cutting-edge versions (like Debian
  "unstable").  Depending on your point of view, this means you get the
  best of both worlds, or it means you get the worst of both worlds.
  I personally hate "releases" and don't need/want cutting edge code
  (other than the one I write), so I much prefer Debian "testing".

-- Stefan