Re: debian and ubuntu

In <[🔎] 20090425110015.08fe4463@gom>, prad wrote:
>we use (and support) both, but i'd like to establish a rationale for
>using one or the other.

All that follow is just my opinion, but I've tried to justify it so it may
be the start of a rational process to guide the decision.

If you want a commercial support contract, go with Ubuntu and get support
from Canonical.

I'm not saying you can't get commercial support for Debian, but that the
closest thing to Debian is the a legal entity is SPI, and I don't believe
they provide that support.

If there are packages in Ubuntu's universe or multiverse not available
elsewhere that you need, go with Ubuntu.  Even the Debian community probably
will not provide much support for packages that are not in Debian.

DDs and DMs are generally swamped with their packages.  Spending cycles on
other packages generally doesn't make sense.

For anything else, go with Debian.  Even if you don't like Debian's slow
release cycles, testing/unstable/experimental and pinning allow you to
accelerate the cycle as you need to (mostly).