Re: HP proliant ML115 G5 on debian lenny

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 10:03:21AM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> installer could find the disk on which to install.  I don't know if the
> installer program has a means of adding a module then rescanning for
> hard drives.

Ah, I never thought of the installer failing to find the boot drive..

> I don't keep a backup server in the safety deposit box :), I keep the
> backup media.  In this case, big USB stick (hard drives don't fit and

This opens another option of using USB drive for very important data.
But the capacity of USB sticks are small.

> Apparently, a number of data centers in the World Trade Centre had their
> off-site backup in the other tower.  Keep that in mind when you choose
> the "different building".

That is true. They two building should be of different heights.

> Another consideration:  Imagine that all you have is the backup media.
> What info will you need to use that media to recreate the entire system?
> Will you need any printed documentation to access the data on the media?
> Will you need any special hardware (e.g. a tape drive of a particular
> model) to access the media?  Is the data encrypted?  What happens if the
> media is lost or stolen?  Here, "media" could be your disk array; they
> still fit in a backpack.

Thank you very much for the kind reminder!

Regards,

--
Zhengquan