Re: HP proliant ML115 G5 on debian lenny

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 03:09:28PM -0500, Zhengquan Zhang wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 10:03:21AM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> > I don't keep a backup server in the safety deposit box :), I keep the
> > backup media.  In this case, big USB stick (hard drives don't fit and
>
> This opens another option of using USB drive for very important data.
> But the capacity of USB sticks are small.

Back to my question of what is the backup set size.

Right now, I'm using 16 GB USB sticks, but larger are available (32, 64
MB).

Before I got the sticks, I did a cost comparision between new USB sticks
and used LTO-1 tape drive ($250) and tapes.  The break-even point
assuming 2 sets (one at home, the other in the bank) was 72 GB.
However, USB sticks are a lot more robust than tapes.  Tapes should be
transported to the bank in a padded carrier, and don't drop them when
you transfer to the safety deposit box.

> > Apparently, a number of data centers in the World Trade Centre had their
> > off-site backup in the other tower.  Keep that in mind when you choose
> > the "different building".
>
> That is true. They two building should be of different heights.

:)

Doug.