Re: HP proliant ML115 G5 on debian lenny

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:34:21AM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> The only __definitive__ way to know would be to take the netinst CD to
> the box, boot it up and check dmesg (and the installer screens) and see
> if it sees the drives.  Note that embedded sata "raid" controllers are
> generally fake raid.  You're better off just using them as normal disk
> interfaces (don't try to configure as raid) and using software raid from
> the installer CD.

This is exactly what I want to know. I 'guess' if it officially supports
redhat and suse, debian will have no problem seeing the hardware. But I
am not sure about the so called embedded raid, and could you explain a
little bit why it is 'fake'?

Also, is there any other penalty or downside for using software raid?
As I know, for RAID 1, the performance is not affected much. And the
server will merely be used for backup.

Regards,

--
Zhengquan