Re: Where/What's the xorg configurator?

Felix Miata a écrit :
> On 2009/04/23 22:41 (GMT+0100) thveillon.debian composed:
>
>> Felix Miata a écrit :
>
>>> On 2009/04/22 22:40 (GMT-0400) Felix Miata composed:

>>> I forgot to mention, my display does not have working DDC or EDID, so xorg et
>>> al have no way to know what is possible from it without some form of manual
>>> intervention.
>>>
>>> Since I didn't get an answer here, and couldn't find anything comparable, I
>>> got 1280x960@24bpp@96DPI by editing the xorg.conf result of xorg -configure
>>> myself: http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/xorg.conf.03-1280x0960x096x24bpp-lenny
>>>
>>> Here's another reason I will continue openSUSE as #1 recommendation to those
>>> who ask "what distro" should be choosen. YaST/SaX2 in 11.1 and 11.2 (Factory)
>>> still provide the ability to build a working xorg.conf that gets desired
>>> results, with or without a working GUI to start with.
>> Hi,
>>
>> you can use "kxgenerator" to set up a tailored xorg.conf
>
> Where is that hidden in my Lenny KDE menu?

You probably don't have it, it's not installed by default since it's
seldom needed, and even when there's a Xorg problem it's more
straightforward to just edit the xorg.conf.
It's in Sid for sure, I didn't check for other levels.
GUI to edit configuration files like xorg.conf is just not Debian's way
of life I guess...

> Also, to those with openSUSE GUI problems, it's easy to say, just add a 3 to
> the Grub cmdline so that X won't start and hang you and prevent you from
> running an X configurator.
>
> I really don't understand Debian including X all the way down in runlevel 2
> either. What's the point of having a bunch of runlevels and running only on
> either of only 2?

My point is not to start yet another sterile "MYDistro vs Yours"®©
thread, and it would clearly be OT here to go into details about
OpenSuse, but I don't find it less rational to use runlevels 1 and 2
rather than 3 and 5 like in OpenSuse... And there's a "single" or
"recovery" entry in the grub menu too.

Tom