Re: Where/What's the xorg configurator?

On 2009/04/23 22:41 (GMT+0100) thveillon.debian composed:

> Felix Miata a écrit :

>> On 2009/04/22 22:40 (GMT-0400) Felix Miata composed:

>>> I just installed Lenny for the first time on a system with GeForce4 MX4000
>>> AGP. X is coming up on nv driver in 800x600. KControl provides no option to
>>> up resolution from 800x600 that I can find, nor am I able to spot anything
>>> else in the KDE menu system for X configuration. Krandrtray tops out at
>>> 800x600 too. http://wiki.debian.org/ConfigureX doesn't seem up to date or any
>>> help in finding how to configure X/display card/display. dpkg-reconfigure
>>> xserver-xorg asked no questions related to resolution. How do I get a good
>>> xorg.conf without manually editing it?

>> I forgot to mention, my display does not have working DDC or EDID, so xorg et
>> al have no way to know what is possible from it without some form of manual
>> intervention.
>>
>> Since I didn't get an answer here, and couldn't find anything comparable, I
>> got 1280x960@24bpp@96DPI by editing the xorg.conf result of xorg -configure
>> myself: http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/xorg.conf.03-1280x0960x096x24bpp-lenny
>>
>> Here's another reason I will continue openSUSE as #1 recommendation to those
>> who ask "what distro" should be choosen. YaST/SaX2 in 11.1 and 11.2 (Factory)
>> still provide the ability to build a working xorg.conf that gets desired
>> results, with or without a working GUI to start with.
>
> Hi,
>
> you can use "kxgenerator" to set up a tailored xorg.conf

Where is that hidden in my Lenny KDE menu?

> , using a mix of auto-detection and manually inputed values. Regarding
> the modelines you can generate one with "gtf" like this:

> gtf 1280 960 96

> Allow me to disagree about OpenSuse, which is a fine distribution for
> the rpm world in many aspects, aside from the disastrous Novell
> attitude. But Sax is a mess according to any sensible user, go wander a
> few forums and look for xorg/video drivers related posts... One of the
> greatest and most common advice is to install proprietary drivers with
> the downloaded installers, and completely ignore the sax2 "magic". As a
> matter of fact it works far better without it.

Some people think it a mess, but it least they can find something to get the
job done in their GUI menu. Personally, I don't get SaX2 failure. In over 10
years of running many distros on many systems, I've never yet found
proprietary drivers necessary. Not once. When sax2 fails for me, invariably
the fault is an upstream bug somewhere in xorg or its (open source) drivers,
not in sax2.

Also, to those with openSUSE GUI problems, it's easy to say, just add a 3 to
the Grub cmdline so that X won't start and hang you and prevent you from
running an X configurator.

I really don't understand Debian including X all the way down in runlevel 2
either. What's the point of having a bunch of runlevels and running only on
either of only 2?
--
"He who works his land will have abundant food, but the
one who chases fantasies will have his fill of poverty."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/