Re: Time keeps on slippin, slippin... (serious clock drift; suggestions??)

On Apr 15, 3:10 pm, Paul E Condon <pecon...@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> On 2009-04-15_07:24:03, John Hasler wrote:
>

> > Paul E Condon writes:
> > > Look into the package chrony.
>
> > I agree that he should install Chrony (everyone should :)) but I think he
> > has more wrong than just an outlier crystal.  Four minutes per hour is
> > 66,667 parts per million.  You can do better than that with an rc
> > oscillator.
>
> > ponga wrote:
> > >Ithink the hwclock is not much better as far as accuracy goes, but have
> > >not analyzed it as close as the system clock.
>
> > Check the hardware (BIOS) clock.  I think you'll find that it is keeping
> > reasonable time.  If it isn't return the board.
> > --
> > John Hasler
>
> I agree that 4m/h is much too large to just let chrony correct it and
> the user be happy. Something on that new mother board is about to
> suffer infant mortality. Chrony will gather data that might be useful
> in making a warrenty claim I expect it will show that the rate is
> fluctuating wildly as well as being slow by about 4m/h. When the board
> dies save the chrony logs. Of course, if OP reboots only rarely,
> running chrony may not help much in gathering data for a claim.
>
> --
> Paul E Condon
> pecon...@mesanetworks.net

Well, I don't think the HW clock is bad.. seems very stable actually,
this after keeping an eye on it. Problem is with system clock only.
Anyway, I installed chrony and it's got my system clock down to
loosing 4 minutes per day. Much better than 4 per hour and enough to
call it a, errr... day, and let ntp do the rest. If I have time, I'll
revisit to try and get to the bottom of this, in the mean time though,
I appreciate the suggestions.

--ponga