Re: Time keeps on slippin, slippin... (serious clock drift; suggestions??)

On 2009-04-15_07:24:03, John Hasler wrote:
> Paul E Condon writes:
> > Look into the package chrony.
>
> I agree that he should install Chrony (everyone should :)) but I think he
> has more wrong than just an outlier crystal.  Four minutes per hour is
> 66,667 parts per million.  You can do better than that with an rc
> oscillator.
>
> ponga wrote:
> >Ithink the hwclock is not much better as far as accuracy goes, but have
> >not analyzed it as close as the system clock.
>
> Check the hardware (BIOS) clock.  I think you'll find that it is keeping
> reasonable time.  If it isn't return the board.
> --
> John Hasler

I agree that 4m/h is much too large to just let chrony correct it and
the user be happy. Something on that new mother board is about to
suffer infant mortality. Chrony will gather data that might be useful
in making a warrenty claim I expect it will show that the rate is
fluctuating wildly as well as being slow by about 4m/h. When the board
dies save the chrony logs. Of course, if OP reboots only rarely,
running chrony may not help much in gathering data for a claim.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net