Re: how can i turn /dev/null into an MTA?

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 09:59:52AM +0100, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems as though most people on the list are incapable of answering
> a simple technical question if it messes with their belief system.
> Instead, they go on questioning the OPs motivations. It's rather
> annoying.

You asked a quiestion that was not clear. It took a while to understand
that you wanted a package to satisfy the mail-transfer-agent dependency.
Someone else has thus suggested you nullmailer. I have suggested you
ssmtp .

> I've asked the same question a while ago. I have a simple one-user
> desktop, i do not need an MTA. I know those programs don't need much
> memory (i have 4GB), i know they're sleeping most of the time, i know
> they'll only wake up if there's something to do. But i don't want an
> MTA. It's that simple. All the mail i use is web-based and if i want
> to access it other than through https i'll use some mail client.

Sending mail and recieving it are two different things. Generally you
can relay outgoing mail through the SMTP server of your ISP.

Alternatively, as you seem to be using GMail, you can relay your mail
through it using SMTP. You do need to authenticate yourself.

http://wiki.debian.org/GmailAndExim4

(I use postfix and have sa similar setup at work)

Generally ssmtp, null-mailer and alike are likely not to support such
extra features. They work best for a "sattelite system" that sends all
the mail immediately to a mail server near by.

> MTAs, afaik, are useful for multiuser systems and/or systems that
> actually handle mail. (Most (i should say 'most' otherwise some
> nitpick will say "But i do!")) single-user desktops do not. And if the
> MTA is used by internal programs, well, maybe those programs should
> not rely on a MailTA? Syslog maybe? Another option?

Here's something you should test: how simple is it for you to use
reportbug to report bugs?

> >From the answers of those who can answer a technical question (also
> providing their own opinion, or not) i got to configure exim so that
> my system would start faster. I still have exim.
>
> Googling around i came across this: http://www.mike01.com/
> I haven't tried it yet and it doesn't seem to be in the repos.

Again, useless: Debian already has ssmtp, msmtp, null-mailer, esmtp and
probably others I forgot. I suggest you actually read replies before
discarding them.