Re: Aptitude issue

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 23:43:02 -0500, M. Lewis wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 17:50:48 -0500, M. Lewis wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 03:07:50 -0500, M. Lewis wrote:
I'm having an issue with Aptitude that I'm not sure how to correct. I was having an issue with OpenOffice so I decided the easiest way to resolve the problem might be to completely remove it, then re-install it. That is when the problem began. Aptitude hung trying to remove openoffice.org-writer2latex.

[...]

Thanks Florian. Commenting out 2 thru x lines of the script in fact worked. I was able to do a aptitude update && aptitude full-upgrade. Next when I went to add openoffice.org back in, the silly thing hangs right back at the same package:

rattler:~# aptitude install openoffice.org

[...]

Updating fontconfig cache for /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-liberation
Setting up openoffice.org-officebean (1:2.4.1-17+b1) ...
Setting up openoffice.org-writer2latex (0.5-8) ...
Adding extension /usr/lib/openoffice/share/extension/install/writer2latex.uno.pkg...

I would try this (I cannot guarantee anything, though):

1) Uninstall openoffice again completely, using the same trick for the
   problematic pre-removal script.

2) Purge all openoffice packages that still have configuration files on
   your system, using this command:

   aptitude purge '~nopenoffice~c'

3) Check /usr/lib/openoffice/share/extension/ and its sub-folders. If
   there are any files left then you probably have to remove them
   manually.

4) Try to install openoffice again and keep your fingers crossed.

Florian, thank you so much. That did the trick. I was able to remove it completely (verified via dpkg -l | grep office). I was then able to install it successfully, and now OO works where it did not work before. Thank you so much for your time and patience!!

Mike
--

 The wise person writes bomb-proof code.
  00:40:01 up 4 days, 21:32,  2 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.60, 0.54

 Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org