Re: Aptitude issue

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 03:07:50 -0500, M. Lewis wrote:
> I'm having an issue with Aptitude that I'm not sure how to correct. I
> was having an issue with OpenOffice so I decided the easiest way to
> resolve the problem might be to completely remove it, then re-install
> it. That is when the problem began. Aptitude hung trying to remove
> openoffice.org-writer2latex.

That indicates a problem with the pre-removal script of this package;
aptitude cannot do much about that.

>                              I ended up aborting the process and went on
> about my business. Tonight I needed to install ksensors on the same
> machine when the OpenOffice problem again reared its ugly head.

The openoffice.org-writer2latex package is in a broken state on your
system (incomplete removal), therefore aptitude has to try to fix it
before it can perform actions on other packages.

> rattler:~# aptitude install ksensors

[...]

> Removing openoffice.org-writer2latex ...
>

> At this point, aptitude will sit here for as long as you are willing to
> wait. On another terminal, I did 'ps ax'. The relevant portions follow:
>

>  4726 pts/3    Sl+    0:03 aptitude install ksensors
>  4757 pts/6    Ss+    0:00 /usr/bin/dpkg --status-fd 24
> --force-depends --force-remove-essential --remove
> openoffice.org-writer2latex
>  4758 pts/6    S+     0:00 /bin/sh
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/openoffice.org-writer2latex.prerm remove
>  4759 pts/6    S+     0:00 /bin/sh
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/openoffice.org-writer2latex.prerm remove
>  4760 pts/6    S+     0:00 /bin/sh /usr/lib/openoffice/program/unopkg
> list --shared
>  4761 pts/6    S+     0:00 grep Identifier:.*writer2latex
>  4762 pts/6    S+     0:00 cut -d: -f2
>  4780 pts/6    S+     0:00 /usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconfd-2 4
>  4802 pts/6    R+     0:11 /usr/lib/openoffice/program/unopkg.bin list
> --shared -env:JFW_PLUGIN_DO_NOT_CHECK_ACCESSIBILITY=1
> -env:UNO_JAVA_JFW_INSTALL_DATA=$$ORIGIN/../share/config/javasettingsunopkginstall.xml
> -env:UserInstallation=fi

[...]

It seems that the pre-removal script gets stuck while trying to
determine the full name of the writer2latex extension. You can try this
yourself:

/usr/lib/openoffice/program/unopkg list --shared | grep latex

If that command comes up empty or if it hangs then you might have to
comment out every invocation of /usr/lib/openoffice/program/unopkg in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/openoffice.org-writer2latex.prerm and run "aptitude
install -f" to get the broken package off your system.

          Florian   |